Confessions of a Current Events Quiz Victim

Confessions of a Current Events Quiz Victim
By: Ellie Thornsbury

"The current events quiz has coerced me into fully investing myself into learning about the happenings of the world." Morgan David, a rising scholar in the J+C magnet, wrote these very words in her article about the weekly Journalism 1 current events quiz. She made a very convincing point about Mr. Miller's infamous tests.

I have to say I agree with Morgan's statement listed above. While I did despise the weekly quizzes with a passion when they started, I have to say I have grown to appreciate them. Before this year I had absolutely no interest in anything that was happening in the world. I always found politics especially boring and uninteresting. And while I still might not love politics as much as the next guy, I now understand their need and influence on society.

Every week I search through the Courier Journal, New York Times, and NPR to find newsworthy articles and topics. With this new information I can now have intellegent conversations about the things going on in our country. Also, the looming grade waiting for me at the end of the week forces me to do my best and fully indulge in news media topics.

Morgan David inspired me to respond with her thoughtful views on Miller's tests. All in all, we can definitely agree that the current events quiz has provided an opportunity to learn more about our world.

Comments